Comcast announced it is expanding its smart, fast, reliable fiber-rich network – the Xfinity 10G Network – to homes and businesses in the city of Paola and the area of Hillsdale in Miami County to further enhance broadband connectivity and better serve its citizens with fast, reliable internet service. Working with the City of Paola and Miami County, Comcast will bring secure gigabit broadband service to more than 4,000 homes and businesses and will invest millions in a two-year project to expand its fiber-rich Xfinity 10G Network infrastructure over 107 miles in the area.
As part of its commitment to bring connectivity to more homes in Kansas, Comcast worked closely with the City of Paola and Hillsdale in Miami County to make fast internet a reality for over 4,000 homes and businesses. The expansion will bring residential broadband speeds faster than 1 gigabit per second (Gbps) and business speeds up to 100 Gbps. In the last three years, Comcast has invested nearly $40.3 million in the State of Kansas including more than $11.4 million in technology and infrastructure, such as network upgrades to deliver innovative, reliable and affordable broadband service to everyone in the Comcast service area in Kansas.
“Comcast’s announcement to expand further south into Miami County provides additional service options to some customers but also brings service to some areas currently without any high-speed provider,” said Janet McRae, Economic Development Director for Miami County. “The need for our residents and businesses to have high speed internet options is only going to continue to increase in the future. We look forward to the opportunities this investment in our county will bring.”
“We are excited for Comcast’s commitment to bring high-speed internet to our residents and businesses. Members of our staff have already begun meeting with Comcast to help streamline their construction needs and hopefully minimize any disruptions that may occur,” said Randi Shannon, City Manager, City of Paola. “High-speed internet supports so many parts of our daily lives. Increased access benefits not just those who work from home or enjoy digital entertainment, but it also brings vital healthcare and similar services into the homes of our most vulnerable residents. We are grateful for Comcast’s investment and are excited to see the opportunities it brings.”
“Comcast is proud to partner with Paola and Hillsdale to connect businesses and residents to our reliable, high-speed Xfinity 10G Network,” said Kalyn Hove, Regional Senior Vice President for Comcast. “As the world we live in becomes increasingly digital, we remain focused on not only bringing our broadband network to more homes and businesses in Kansas, but also on future-proofing our network to meet the ever-increasing appetite for education, business and entertainment.”
Residential customers will be able to take advantage of Xfinity’s full suite of internet products, including the company’s Internet Essentials program that provides low-cost, high-speed broadband for income-constrained households. Since its inception in 2011, the program has connected more than 6,400 Kansas residents. Comcast also participates in the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), which provides qualifying households with a $30 monthly credit toward internet and mobile services.
Powered by the Xfinity 10G Network
Comcast’s network and Internet experience are powering homes and businesses today and into the future:
- Ultimate Capacity: Xfinity customers connect nearly 1 billion devices across the company’s network annually. The Xfinity 10G Network with the next-generation Xfinity gateways deliver the most advanced WiFi technology carrying three times more bandwidth to power streaming, gaming, videoconferencing, and more, simultaneously.
- Fastest Internet: More than a third of Xfinity Internet customers subscribe to gigabit speed products, and symmetrical gig speeds are planned to come to the first homes later this year.
- Unprecedented Coverage: The latest Xfinity Gateway provides a more reliable connection throughout the home. Customers can get wall-to-wall WiFi coverage with a powerful Xfinity WiFi Boost Pod that extends coverage to hard-to-reach areas, with plans for an offering of increased support for in-home WiFi through a “boost guarantee” later this year.
- Most Reliable Connection: Comcast is scaling the nation’s largest and most reliable network – the Xfinity 10G Network – that passes 60 million homes and businesses and counting. The company plans to launch a new device that is “storm ready” with cellular and battery backup to help keep customers connected even when the power goes out.
- Ultra-Low Latency: The Xfinity 10G Network and the latest Xfinity Gateway are a powerful combination that deliver ultra-low latency for those moments when response times matter most like video games, a fast-growing category with Xfinity households averaging more than one gaming console per home.
For local businesses, Comcast Business offers a suite of connectivity, cybersecurity, managed solutions and Comcast Business Mobile products designed specifically for their employee’s needs. Powered by the nation’s largest Gig-speed broadband network, and backed by 24/7 customer support, Comcast Business is the nation’s largest cable and Internet provider to small and mid-size businesses and one of the leading providers to larger organizations in the Enterprise market. Comcast Business has been consistently recognized by industry analysts and associations as a leader and innovator, and one of the fastest growing providers of Ethernet services.